May 29, 2019
Do you often experience back and neck pain? Do you always have headaches? We don’t want to alarm you, but if you do, maybe you have a problem with your neuromusculoskeletal system. If so, what better way to address back pain, headaches, and back pain than to ask a chiropractor for help?
Chiropractic care started back in 1895 when a self-taught healer named David Palmer sought a drugless cure for diseases. The word “chiropractic” literally means “healing with the hands.” The name suggests what chiropractic care is all about. But the point is, what does chiropractic care really entail?
In a nutshell, chiropractic care is a healthcare profession that essentially aims to identify and address disorders that affect an individual’s musculoskeletal and nervous systems. You need the service of a chiropractor who will focus on diagnosing and treating your neuromuscular disorders. A chiropractor will do their best to alleviate things like back pain, neck pain, and headaches, as well as other problems that have to do with your musculoskeletal and nervous systems. Some treatments employed by a chiropractor include manual adjustment and spinal manipulation.
In the next section, we will talk about which situations need chiropractic care. We will also go over some chiropractic treatments aimed at addressing neuromusculoskeletal problems.
As mentioned above, chiropractic care is geared towards alleviating neuromusculoskeletal aches and pains. Some common complaints or conditions involving this system are:
- Back pain – The most common complaint among patients seeking chiropractic care is back pain. Typically, back pain can spring from an injury, disc problem, or even arthritis. That said, the core of chiropractic care usually involves the treatment of common lower back pain conditions through spinal manipulation.
- Neck pain – Next pain is another complaint or condition that requires chiropractic care. This can be caused by whiplash, degenerative disorders like osteoarthritis, disc disease, and poor posture. To address this problem, your chiropractor will conduct a neck adjustment to improve the mobility of the spine, restore range of motion, and increase the movement of the adjoining muscles.
- Headaches – Headache is a common problem that can be caused by multiple reasons. More often than not, headaches have something to do with your neuromusculoskeletal structure, particularly the neck area. Spinal manipulation and other chiropractic therapy techniques can be useful for treating tension headaches, migraines, and similar problems.
There are many different chiropractic techniques, but these can be categorized and reduced to basic chiropractic adjustments, chiropractic therapy, and spinal manipulation.
- Spinal Manipulation – Spinal manipulation is said to be the main feature of chiropractic care. This involves applying a controlled force to the joints in and around your spine, as well as manual and mechanical adjustments. Its primary purpose is to place the body into a proper position to improve spinal motion and physical function of the entire body.
- Flexion-Distraction Therapy – This is a form of therapy that uses a special table that distracts and flexes the spine in an automated and gentle rhythmic motion. Basically, it helps to increase spinal motion and remove pressure from disc bulges and spinal nerves.
- Spinal Decompression – Spinal decompression is a type of motorized traction used to treat disc injuries. This technique involves separating the vertebrae, creating a vacuum between them, and relieving painful pressure. This technique will retract bulging discs, thereby reducing and alleviating pressure on the nerves and other structures in your spine.
Launchfit provides chiropractic services in NYC – get in touch today to see how we can help.